Friday, January 22, 2010

What is eleventy-two?

That's easy and hard. It's how old my girls are, in kid speak. Eleven and two. Worlds apart but so entwined.
Eleven pretty much sucks. It sucks for the eleven and it really sucks for the mama. But eleven is pretty damn cool too. It's not quite old enough to forego a kiss good night or to say 'I love you' in front of friends. It's perfect for silly, outrageous and uncontrollable giggles. It's also great for uncontrollable mood swings, eye rolling and all around grouchiness. It's not quite grown up but it's not little kid cute anymore either.
Two, well. Two is everything and then some. Two is a whole lot like eleven actually, right down to the grouchy mood swings. But two is also full of wonder and awe. It comes with it's own set of rules though. Logic goes out the window but negotiation is a strong point. Bribery works too. It's an age of unapologetic melt downs and insane amounts of love, kisses and snuggle time.
It's easy to talk about my two year old and I tend to do it, a lot. It's harder to talk about my eleven year old and I don't do it enough. So I'm going to try to talk about them equally and give them each the amount of written space that they deserve. To show them, in another way, just how much I love being a mama to two amazing little girls.
So who's who? Deliah is eleven. She is beautiful and unbelievably smart. She's is super creative, an amazing artist and a fabulous soccer player. She is funny, sensitive, articulate and kind. She is the BEST big sister and she is my favorite oldest daughter. She made me a mama. She taught me how to be a mama, how to love with more than I ever knew I could. She's taught me patience, as well as the limits of patience. She's brought smiles and joys to my world that I never knew I was missing until I had them. My Deliah-the sun rises and sets with you.
Caelan is two. She is so much like her big sister. She's also so totally different. She is such a girly girl. She's a princess and a diva, a sweet heart and a stand up comedian. She can throw a mean fit but she doesn't like to, she is happy much more often than not. She's my favorite youngest daughter. She's taught me to stop and listen a little more often, she's tried the patience that her sister has taught me and tested limits in ways I didn't know they could be tested. She is the baby but don't tell her that, she's BIG! My Caelan-you were the missing piece to our family puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment